Position: Library Technician
Start: September 2019
We are currently seeking an experience Library Technician to join our Client’s team in Sydney. This is a great 6 month opportunity for the right candidate!
- Support the development of staff capabilities in customer service, information, technology and library trends through excellent coaching and knowledge sharing skills.
- Monitor and maintain efficient team operations through the use of good judgment and effective supervisory skills.
- Support staff with difficult enquiries, issues and conflicts through effective problem solving skills.
- Such duties as directed by Librarians, Team Leaders or Managers.
- Support and create an exceptional customer experience by using strong judgment to identify, address and/or refer diverse customer needs as a priority.
- Sound interpersonal and negotiation skills through effective communication to provide accurate information, resolve issues, and provide alternative resources.
- Understand and promote the Library’s strategies, Quality Standards and procedures through demonstrated customer service, staff coaching, and continuous improvement.
- Identify and meet customer needs through accurate circulation, enquiry work and reader’s advisory and providing internal and external referrals.
- Active promotion of all physical and digital collections and seek improvements through evaluation of community feedback and engagement.
- Support a range of Library services, including branch and roster management, collection services, Inter-Library Loans, and Home Library Services.
- Identify and support new or improved Library services and programs that meet business unit objectives and address community needs in technology, collections and spaces.
- Share, train and demonstrate new consumer and library technology to customers and staff.
- Identify, establish and grow partnerships with other units, external organisations and community groups to promote Library services and programs that address diverse community needs.
- Completion or near completion of Diploma in Library Information Management or related discipline that is recognised for professional membership of the Australian Library and Information Association
- Demonstrated working knowledge and/or experience in two or more of the following:
– Collections and digital resources
– Reference and readers’ advisory
– Learning program development and delivery
– Children’s and youth services
– Adult and seniors services
– Outreach and community engagement
– Multicultural services
– Special community interests and needs services
– Learning and development.
- Demonstrated experience of customer service skills including accuracy of information, equity of access, user privacy and providing a welcoming experience to visitors
- Demonstrated understanding of the roles of the public libraries in communities and a community focused approach to service delivery
- Demonstrated technology skills, continuous learning and the ability to embrace, promote and apply new technologies to service delivery
- Knowledge of and experience in the use of PCs/Macs (including Office, Outlook, Word and Excel), information/retail software, consumer technology, social media, research databases and web applications
- Demonstrated well developed communication, interpersonal, supervisory, and networking skills
- Demonstrated working knowledge and experience with copy cataloguing and classification (only for Collections Supports)
- Ability to problem solve and provide suitable solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Demonstrate a commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity, Work, Health and Safety and Cultural Diversity principles
- Ability to obtain Working with Children Check
- Advanced PC/Mac skills, advanced Office software skills and/or design/music video software skills
- Previous experience in Inter Library Loans
- Previous experience in Home Library Services
- Previous experience in Collections management and working with library vendors
- Class 1C drivers licence
- Proficiency in another language other than English
- Willingness and ability to obtain Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate
The successful candidate must be available to work any shift between 8am- 9pm, Monday – Sunday and any location across the Sydney network of libraries
Job code: 2084