In today’s competitive job market, a well-crafted resume is the key to opening doors to new career opportunities. Your resume serves as your first impression on potential employers, showcasing your skills, experience, and qualifications. However, with recruiters receiving countless resumes for each job posting, it is crucial to ensure that yours stands out from the rest!
Whether you are a recent graduate entering the workforce or an experienced professional looking for a career change, here are our ten non-negotiables to take your resume to the next level!
- Suburb and postcode – important to the location of the job being advertised.
- Mobile and email address – ensure you include these details and your email address is business appropriate and professional. Recruiters and employers are time poor so if you’re easy to contact you’ve increased you chance of getting that job.
- Any tickets, cards or licences – you may get rejected not including this if the job criteria requires it.
- Tailor to each job – list relevant skills and experience only.
- Fonts & formatting – ensure you are consistent as this shows attention to detail.
- Spelling/grammar – check for any errors.
- Referees – obtain permission from your referees to be contacted.
- Fill gaps in your resume – include any voluntary work and provide explanation in your summary at the top of your resume.
- Transferable skills – think about these in your resume. You may not have the exact same background but there are core skills and experience that may relate to the role you are applying for.
- Avoid applying for unsuitable roles – give yourself a chance by applying for roles you are suitable for. If you do not have the skills, experience or qualifications for the role, it is highly likely your application will be rejected.
Once you have proofread your resume multiple times you are ready to go. Check out our current opportunities here.
Need help with your resume? Feel free to contact us!